August 20, 2008

Trying my hand at dying yarn

I'm a certified fiber-aholic. It's a real problem.
I don't have the money to indulge my desires for fancy soft and squishy hand-dyed wools as much as I'd like. I tend to splurge once every few months and get something really nice and turn it into a cool item.
So when the opportunity to get undyed Peace Fleece (a wool blend) AND acid dyes at the wholesale cost came my way...well, I splurged!
This afternoon I broke out my supplies and dyed that yarn!

Skein One:

Started out plain
Photobucket

These are the dyes I used: Burnt orange, crimson and brown
Photobucket

First I hand painted it (with a turkey baster!) for good coverage
Photobucket

Then I kettle dyed it on the stovetop (in jars to keep the color separate) to deepen the colors.
Photobucket

Skein Two:

Plain again
Photobucket

Then the dyes: Brown and teal
Photobucket

This one just got dyed on the stovetop
Photobucket

And the final results!
Photobucket

2 comments:

debdills said...

so, do you do lady bugs?
James has a friend who is having a girl flavored baby, and they want a lady bug theme. =)

Bern said...

Oooh! The colors are gorgeous!